Motion for a resolution by Jean-François Jacob, co-signed by Steeve Briois and Dominique Bilde:
The European Parliament,
– Having regard to the preamble to the Treaty on European Union (paragraphs 1, 6 and 13);
– Having regard to Article 6 of the Treaty on the functioning of the European Union (c) and (e) (shared competence);
– Having regard to Article 165 of the Treaty on the functioning of the European Union 1 and 2;
– Having regard to Article 167 of the Treaty on the functioning of the European Union;
– Having regard to article 133 of its rules of procedure;
- Considering the essential contribution of ancient culture to European culture, through law, democracy and philosophy;
- Considering the salience of the Greek and Latin languages in the current languages of the European Union;
- Whereas shared culture is a cement of better cooperation between Member States;
- Considering the importance of reinforcing cultural referents in the face of the haggling of culture;
- Calls for the adoption of a policy to promote the teaching of Greek and Latin languages in the secondary education of the countries of the European Union.
- Calls for the valorisation of the courses which have received these lessons in the European civil service.
Instructs the President to forward this resolution, together with the names of the signatories, to the Commission, the Council and the Member States.